Sunday, August 21, 2011

Michelle's Second & Third Weeks in Playgroup


We went to Desaru, Johor for the National Day holiday so we skipped Monday & Tuesday for the second week. We also agreed that since I have been taking leaves and working from home for the first week, my husband should take over for the 2nd week so he dropped him there in the morning (while I wait in the car) and picked her up around 3PM. Surprisingly, nap time wasn't a problem for Michelle. I was quite worried about it because my friend told me that her daughter didn't want to sleep at daycare for 2 weeks.

There was tears on the 2nd week but she wasn't as resistant (read: trying to climb all over us) when he tried to pass her to the teacher. She reluctantly agree to be carried by the teacher while waving bye bye and sobbing at the same time. However, when he picked her up, she always appeared to be cheery and in good mood.

Weekend of 2nd week was really hard and emotionally draining for me. First, I was so pissed off that my husband had to work on Saturday when we were actually planning to bring Michelle for vaccination. So I was kind of moody and somehow Michelle was exceptionally naughtier and clingier than ever. The teacher warned about her being more clingy because of being sent to daycare, but she didn't mention anything about naughtier. In short, whatever I told her not to do, she'll purposely do it for e.g. swinging the hanging mirror, pouring her food from her bowl to the table, etc.

On one occasion, my nerve got the better of me and I just hit the back of her hand so hard that I can see my own finger mark there! I feel so bad afterwards that I just kept hugging her and crying at the same time. My poor baby.... :(

These 2 weeks have also made me think about my friends who are full-time moms. Basically they face their children day and night and most of them do not have helper. I also think since they are not working, their husband will expect to be "let-off" from the parenting duty. I wonder how they keep sane when the children are misbehaving or refusing to listen!

Sunday was much better though. I guess crying can really clear your mind, and even though it's never my intention to hit her, I don't think I want to do it ever again. I think if you hit a child, you'll get used to it and when you realize that hitting doesn't work, you'll hit harder which can get really bad. Patience is a virtue (that I don't have!).

On Sunday, we wanted to go out but when we were trying to change Michelle's clothes, she resisted. It seems that she taught we were going to send her to daycare so she refused to wear clothes. But after much persuasion (wear new shoes and perfume.. she's vain!), she was fine to wear her go-out clothes. So we went to Vivo, managed to have a good dinner and go on the Sentosa Boardwalk and had a good time there to de-stress and unwind. Michelle also seems to be back to normal and not as naughty as before :)


We are attempting to send Michelle to daycare full-day for the third week. I carried her on Monday to the daycare and while she hugged me tight when walking to the center, she didn't cry when I passed her to her form teacher. When I picked her up around 6PM, another teacher told me that Michelle didn't cry at all that day :)

It seems that things are getting easier for her, perhaps she meets more friends and gets to do more activities now. I was fretting over nothing in the office! :)

I also dropped her at daycare on Tuesday and I'm pretty convinced that she doesn't like her Chinese teacher because when she came to take Michelle, she quickly hugged me and tried to climb all over me again but when another teacher came to take her, she was fine to go to that teacher. I'm not sure if that's because the teacher bullied her or was it just because the teacher doesn't speak English or maybe she sounds fierce? Anyway, when I picked her up around 6PM, she was all ready to go back. I brought her back to my office (which is walking distance but can be quite a killer when you are carrying a bag which feels like 10kg and a toddler about 12kg!!) because we were going for Korean dinner with my colleagues.

Dinner went fine, she behaved really well except for the few times she poured her drinks to her plate and then put her rice to her cup. Haha actually I thought that was fine because she was just playing there on her own and didn't make a lot of fuss but my single colleagues must have been scared of babies now LOL :)

We took cab home and when we were at the lift landing, I realized that I left my keys in the office!!! *CRY* So we went to the nearby playground and waited for my husband to come back which was around an hour. I think Michelle was happy that I forgot my keys though... she got to play at the playground and even bought ice cream :)

Wednesday also went fine, dropped her in the morning (no cry) and picked her up around 6PM. This time round, I tried to take the bus to go from my office to daycare but it seems like there's no bus from the bus stop near my office to somewhere near the building so I have to walk to the bus stop after Capital Tower which is about 5 mins walk and then stop at the next bus stop. We were also going to have dinner with my colleagues so we have to go back to my office and this time round I'm smarter than the day before, I took CAB!!! :D

Dinner went fine in the beginning but Michelle started to get bored so she refused to sit in the high chair and insisted on walking around in the restaurant, which is of course not a good thing. I just got so fed up but I know that scolding or shouting at her will just encourage that behavior. I think one of my colleagues just didn't get it why I'm not scolding her. Oh well... I think I should stop bringing her out on my outings with my colleagues, or at least reduce the frequency.

Throwing tantrum...

I wish my husband can start coming home from work earlier. Right now his definition of early is 9PM (yeah I know WTH right...) and even when I complain to him that it's too stressful to me to juggle my work, cleaning up after Michelle, and dealing with her mess all the time so I need him to also do his 50% part, or at least be there when just need some time to cool off. When he had to worked late (as in 5-6AM on some days) and weekends due to warehouse move, his boss gave him bonus. How I wished that he could tell his boss on his face: "I'm not really short in cash, just give me a month off."

On Thursday, I dropped Michelle at day care again and she was fine to go to her teacher, albeit reluctantly. At least she doesn't cry anymore when I dropped her in the morning. It's really heartbreaking when she cries because she doesn't want to be left there. Every time she does that, I feel like taking the day off and just bring her home. And I didn't have to figure out which bus to take or walk there under the sun because my husband can pick us up! YAY! So he picked me up in my office then we both went to daycare and I picked Michelle up while he waited in the car. We then went for dinner near our house, but he had to go back to work because of some issues in the office.

I think when I'm in good mood, Michelle's mood also seems to be better as in she'll cry less and not throw temper. She happily oblige with me when I asked her if she wants to color and watch Hi-5 on TV. She even forced herself to stay awake watching Hi-5 while I folded her laundry. I hope I can be as calm like that everyday, I know I'm really not a patient person...

On Friday when I dropped her at daycare, one of the friendliest teacher there came out to greet us and to take Michelle in. I really like this teacher as she's always perky and I think she's really good with children (maybe that's the benefit of being young). I think Michelle also likes her because she happily went to her and even smiled when she was waving bye-bye. That was the first time I don't feel bad for leaving her there.

My husband was supposed to pick us up at around 6, but come 5:30 there's still no needs from him. It was so hard to call him as his line was engaged every time I tried to call, and there's no reply from text message. Sooooooo irritating! And when we finally talked, I asked him why didn't he let me know earlier if he was going to be late, his reply was "I forgot..." At the end, I walked to the daycare and took cab to a mall near our house to settle dinner with my sister and her husband. I really feel like a single parent!! Every day I'm the one responsible to make sure somebody remembers to pick her up, pack her school bag, wash her bottles, wash her clothes, get her ready for school, etc! Every morning when I wake up (an hour earlier at least!) I feel like as if I've just got beaten up!!

And then of course he HAD TO work again on Saturday AND Sunday! And he didn't even bring the stroller home (it was left in his car) so it was really hard for me to go out with Michelle. At the end, his friend brought back the stroller for us but by then it was quite late (after dinner) so we just walked for a short while to buy groceries. On Sunday, I managed to almost finish Michelle's quilted blanket. Actually it can be used already buy I want to quilt the panels more. Final result in another blog post soon because I need to go out to buy quilting thread! :)

Related posts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails